Public Participation in the management of the environment and natural resources
Greenwatch Uganda is an environmental rights advocacy Non-Government Organisation in Uganda with its secretariat in Kampala.
We promote public participation in the sustainable use, management and protectionRead More
The High Court has temporarily stopped the construction of the 92km Kaiso Tonya road in Hoima District. The land division of the High Court on Friday issued an interim order restraining the Uganda National Road Authority (UNRA) from going ahead with the construction until July 09th when court determines whether the temporary order should stay.
On 17 October 2013, the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) seized ivory that was being smuggled into Uganda from the Democratic Republic of Congo. It is reported that URA confiscated 832 pieces of ivory. However, following the confiscation of the ivory the traffickers sought a court order from the High Court of Uganda to compel URA to release the ivory, which they claimed had been imported legally. High Court Justice Musalu Musene ruled in their favor and ordered the ivory to be released for onward export.
Greenwatch National Coordinator, Irene Ssekyana was re-elected as the Chairperson of Civil Society Coalition on Oil and gas (CSCO) at the Annual General Meeting on 11th December 2013. CSCO is a loose network of member organizations that demonstrate commitment with a mandate that is relevant to the oil and gas sector. Ms. Ssekyana is the first female to take up this position since CSCO's establishment in 2008.
Press & Highlights
- The Access to Information Act
- Administering Justice With out Un due Regard to Technical
- Court Ruling on the ban of Plastic bags in Uganda
- Access to Information Project Findings presented at a dissemination workshop for civil society actors
- A Community Based Guide for Monitoring Impacts of Oil and Gas Activities on the Environment
- Access to Information Project: Transparency models
- Access to Information Project (ATI): An Overview
- Greenwatch Brochure
- Climate change Adaptation & Biodiversity Management workshop- December 2011